We recognize that evidence-based treatment is often hard to access and we do our best to make our services available and affordable. We do have some reduced fee options and work directly with some insurance plans.
Dr. Muhlheim’s standard fee is $225 per 60-minute session.
We are committed to making treatment available to those who need it. As such Dr. Muhlheim is contracted with some insurance carriers (see below) and with Anthem Medi-cal. She also provides one treatment scholarship per year via Project Heal. We regret that currently, we have no practice associates and no psychological assistants to provide therapy at a reduced fee.
Dr. Muhlheim accepts checks and major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard, and Discover, and Paypal.
Payment is due at the time of your appointment.
Once you have scheduled an appointment, you will be expected to pay for it unless you provide 24 hours advance notice of cancellation. You will be charged for no-shows and for appointments cancelled with less than 24-hours notice.
Please feel free to discuss any billing or payment matters with us.
Fees for Other Services
*Email for pricing for nutritional and movement services: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are contracted with some insurers for psychotherapy services only.
Nutritional and other services may be reimbursed in part by insurance, but we are not directly contracted with insurers for these services.
Dr. Muhlheim is a preferred provider only with Anthem Blue Cross and Aetna.
You should also be aware that sometimes insurance companies subcontract out their behavioral health contracts, so please verify that your behavioral health benefits are with Blue Cross or Aetna and not some third party. Even if you hold an insurance card from one of the companies above, you should call to make sure that company actually administers your behavioral health benefits and check to see what your plan covers. If your behavioral health benefits are subcontracted out to another company then our psychotherapy services will likely be considered out-of-network.
Please note that within California, Blue Cross and Blue Shield are two separate companies. Dr. Muhlheim IS an in-network provider for Anthem Blue Cross, but IS NOT in-network for Blue Shield of California. If you have Blue Cross/Blue Shield from another state WE MAY be an in-network provider. Please note that we do not employ any billing staff and as such are not able to verify your health benefits. Dr. Muhlheim can, however, submit claims electronically directly to Blue Cross and Aetna. You are responsible for finding out whether you have a deductible that needs to be met before insurance will contribute to the cost of your sessions.
If you have mental health coverage by another insurance company and have a PPO plan, services with Dr. Muhlheim as an “out of network provider” may still be covered in full or in part by your health insurance or employee benefit plan. We are willing to complete the necessary paperwork for you to receive any mental health benefits to which you are entitled. However, you are responsible for paying us for your sessions regardless of what your insurance company decides, and we cannot guarantee that you will be reimbursed. If you wish to be reimbursed, it is important that you discuss these issues with your insurance company prior your first appointment.
If you plan on using insurance to pay for psychotherapy, please be aware of the following information:
- Payment for psychotherapy sessions by insurance companies requires us to submit a psychiatric diagnosis.
- Some mental health insurance plans require pre-authorization before the first session, or billing will be denied until that authorization is obtained. Please be prepared to provide your authorization number, co-payment, and number of sessions allowed at your first appointment.
- Insurance companies do not pay for missed sessions or late cancellation fees. If you miss an appointment or cancel with less than 24 hours notice, you are responsible for the entire contracted rate (your regular co-pay plus the insurance portion).
- If you decide to use your insurance for psychotherapy, check your coverage carefully before the initial session by asking the following questions:
- Do I have mental health benefits?
- What insurance company provides my mental health coverage and what is the billing address to send claims?
- Do I need to obtain an authorization for individual psychotherapy?
- What is my deductible and has it been met?
- How much does my plan cover for an in-network and out-of-network provider?
- What is my co-pay for Individual Psychotherapy sessions for an in-network provider?
- How many sessions per calendar year does my plan cover?